Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Configuring listener manually (Oracle 8i, Win 2003)
Configuring listener manually [message #304307] Tue, 04 March 2008 17:34 Go to next message
durgadas.menon
Hi,

I read a lot of write ups on making a listener.ora file. I wanted to know, if I am able to make the file manually then do I need to use net8 configuration assistance for anything.

Also, here is what I understand

If my computer name is Server1 and the database name, sid_name = DBASE and I am working on a stand alone computer then this listener.ora file will listen to any requests coming from below mentioned tnsnames.ora file and I don't need to use any administrative tool to configure this.

LISTENER =

(DESCRIPTION_LIST =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC0))

(PROTOCOL_STACK =

(PRESENTATION = TTC)

(SESSION = NS)
      )
    )

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = server1)(PORT = 1521))

(PROTOCOL_STACK =

(PRESENTATION = TTC)
   (SESSION = NS)
      )
    )
  )

SID_LIST_LISTENER =

(SID_LIST =

(SID_DESC =

(SID_NAME = DBASE)

(ORACLE_HOME = C:\oracle\ora92)

(PROGRAM = extproc)
    )
  )

Quote:
TNSNAMES.ORA

DBASE =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = server1)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVICE_NAME = DBASE)
    )
  )

Your assistance is highly appreciated

- Das
Re: Configuring listener manually [message #304314 is a reply to message #304307] Tue, 04 March 2008 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
If you are logged directly on the the system where Oracle RDBMS is installed & running, you have NO need to have a listener.

It is MUCH more efficient to use the BEQ protocol as opposed to TCP.
Re: Configuring listener manually [message #304345 is a reply to message #304314] Tue, 04 March 2008 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
durgadas.menon
Thanks..I am new to BEQ protocol but from what I read in the forum, my sqlnet.ora file should look something like this.

(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=BEQ)
(PROGRAM=oracle)(ARGV0=oracleDBASE)
(ARGS=’(DESCRIPTION= (LOCAL=YES) 
(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))’))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=DBASE)
(CID=(PROGRAM=c:\oracle\ora92\bin\oradim.exe)
(HOST=server1)(USER=SYSTEM)
)))

and that Oracle would not check tnsnames.ora file while connecting.

Please let me know if this is not true

- Das
Re: Configuring listener manually [message #304350 is a reply to message #304307] Tue, 04 March 2008 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Please let me know if this is not true
I am not sure what "it" is.

I'll try again.

If you are logged directly on the the system where Oracle RDBMS is installed,
you do NOT need SQL*Net in any shape,matter or form; no listener.ora, no tnsnames.ora, & no sqlnet.ora files.
Re: Configuring listener manually [message #304355 is a reply to message #304350] Wed, 05 March 2008 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
durgadas.menon
Ok..Maybe I need to elaborate on what I already mentioned..here is the problem.

I am assigned the job of starting an old Oracle 8i database (which was used a couple of years ago). While trying to login to the database I found out that someone had installed a 10g in the same computer and replaced the tnsnames.ora file with that of 10g. Now when the sqlplus prompt shows 8.1.5 version when I log on to it

cmd>set oracle_sid=oracle
cmd>sqlplus

but when I try to give the sysdba login "/as sysdba" it logs on to 10g database. I tried editing the files, changed the sid_name as service name of oracle 8i but it gave me this error

Quote:
Cannot resolve service name

I created another service (DBASE) and tried to login as sysdba but in vain.

Now as you have mentioned I do not need the files (tnsnames, sqlnet and listener) to log on the the database, can you tell me what exactly do I need to do?

- Das
Re: Configuring listener manually [message #304374 is a reply to message #304307] Wed, 05 March 2008 00:35 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
>can you tell me what exactly do I need to do?
The short answer is NO.
I work on *nix; not Windoze.
I believe you can change your environment to act "locally"; but I can not tell you how.

HTH & YVVM!
Previous Topic: Oracle Connectivity Puzzle
Next Topic: Understanding tnsnames.ora file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:04:16 CDT 2024